10/21/2005

quick thought

Mom and Dad are here, and it's a surreal clash of worlds. My students are meeting my parents? So strange!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Parents are great...and Dr.Ackerman said : Spiderman is better than Superman...Don't forget

Anonymous said...

And Spiderman better than BATMAN...

James said...

Are you struggling with comment spam? I can't quite tell from the previous comments.

Ron Rienstra said...

Oh -- serious spam issues here, methinks.

Heya Matt. :)

MattyA said...

Somehow blocking spam posts makes me feel like I'm supporting censorship. Is that crazy? Probably. As for the last two comments, my students and I have a running debate about who's better - Batman or Spiderman. I brought my parents to class and my father, much to my dismay, unknowingly supported my students in this debate. Let's face it - Batman is the greatest comic book hero ever because he has no special powers or abilities. He's just a guy, like you or me, only with some really sweet gadgets. I need to write a post about this...

bethany said...

1) I think there is a difference between censorship and editorial prerogative (sp?). It's your site, you get to control the content. That's just how it goes.

2) I think I'd have to side with your students on this one too. What kind of super hero doesn't have any super powers?? I seem to recall someone telling me that homework-faking did not constitute a superpower some time ago...

Lindsey said...

There is a differnece between freedom of speech and spammers exploiting your blog to get free advertising. Block them I say!

PS I like Batman better, but Spiderman might win in a fight I'm afraid.

MattyA said...

No, no, no! You guys are missing the point. I'm absolutely going to have to blog about this now, but for the moment let me just say that Batman gets superhero results without superpowers. What could be cooler than that? Stay tuned for further discussion...

Anonymous said...

Ok, I can no longer contain myself...

All I know is, if Batman were here, he probably would have tracked down those spammers and embarrassed them by now in a most humble way.

I agree with Matt. My sense is that Batman was the least arrogant, the most ingenuitive (see previous comments about lacking super-power), the most inspirational to the Joe Blows of the world, and so on... He never seemed to mettle in extra curriculur affairs.

Furthermore, it does not necessarily follow that a super hero must have super powers (e.g., Jimmy Carter). On the flip side, one with super powers certainly is not necessarily a super hero (e.g., Donald Trump). Sorry about those lame examples.

Ryan