So, to summarize, vacation's good. After travelling through Austria (hitting both Vienna and Salzburg, with a drive through the alps and the Austrian lake district) and Germany (Munich and Bavaria), I'm relaxing in Praha (Prague). The lovely Aaron and Phoebe graciously agreed to host us, even though their two year old son, Nehemiah, proceeded to run around laughing, screaming, and throwing himself on the floor for a good hour after we arrived. He likes new people, I think.
Some brief highlights include seeing cows wearing actual cowbells, mad king Ludwig's castle (the model for the Disneyworld castle), drinking beer and eating soft pretzels in Munich, the Austrian Alps (which look surprisingly like western WA), going to All Saint's Day mass in Munich, and catching up with friends (Christina in Vienna, all the Cheb/Sokolov ESI folk, and now the Prague gang). I wish I could give you the blow by blow of all of Sam and my adventures, but it would be longer than a Rick Steeve travel book.
Mostly, though, it's been wonderful to get away from the routine. I love getting away from the daily grind, because it makes going back to the grind so comforting. Nothing makes me appreciate the little daily things like a few days away from them. I think I'll return to my teaching duties next week with renewed vigor and energy. But until then, a few more sights to see...
11/04/2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm impressed that you went to All Saint's Day mass. :) Oh, and seeing cows wearing actual cowbells is pretty cool. I hope that you looked at one of the cows and said or at least thought "Needs more cowbell." ;) You've seen that SNL skit, right?
Have fun travelling!
Everything needs more cowbell.
Coincidentally, we went to a Halloween party while you were in Bavaria where someone was dressed up as "the cowbell guy" from SNL.
Post a Comment