11/15/2005

don't worry, I'm fine (or am I?)

It seems that going a week without posting anything on my blog causes some worry among friends and family on the other side of the world. I guess that probably says something about my poor communication skills in other forums. My plan, mentioned in my last post, to bounce back from vacation with strength and vigor was derailed by a bad cold and cough. Instead I spent three days of last week at home in bed, eating strange Hungarian soup mixes, listening to soothing music, watching an occasional episode of Joan of Arcadia, and trying not to cough too much. I mainly stayed home so my students wouldn’t have the chance to make fun of my frog voice. I believe I’m back up to normal strength, which is good because I have a busy week ahead.

Between the road trip and my brief stint as an invalid I had some time to think, so I turned to my favorite subject: myself. Don Miller says we’re all “lifeboat people,” that is like those stranded at sea in a lifeboat trying not to be the one who gets it when the water runs out. To prevent that from happening we focus our energy on proving our significance to others, usually at the expense of others. I’ve only been in my current life situation for two and a half months, but it’s the most independent I’ve ever been in my life. It’s easy for me to fall into the lifeboat trap because I have few people around for whom I need to sacrifice my wishes and desires. As I teacher I essentially impose my will on my students (not necessarily a bad thing), and since I’m basically living alone I don’t have to worry about shared living space relationships. I don’t spend much time with friends, and when I do it’s often sadly superficial. Right now everything I do happens on my terms, and that’s not healthy.

Several recent events have brought this truth into stark reality: my parents’ visit (do I need to elaborate?), my trip with Sam, a recent e-mail from a friend living and working in some amazing Intentional Christian Community in New York City, an article I read on “the new monasticism” of urban ICCs that sounded so much like what we wanted Project Neighborhood to be last year (and sometimes was), and a few good chats with good friends. While being convicted of selfishness and self-idolatry is not a fun process, it’s made me draw closer to my many communities. As a Christian I’m called to live in community with my brothers and sisters, and that inevitably means sharing, compromising, giving, letting go of my need to feel worldly significance (read: superior to others), and serving others. I’ve been ignoring or avoiding that calling of late.

As usual, it feels good to get this out in the open (even if it’s through the passive channel that is my blog). The next step is for me to speak to those with whom I’m committed to being in community. Then I need to remember that my Christian ministry begins with my example of Christianity, and true Christian communities demonstrate God’s love in deep and beautiful ways. Perhaps by making this public I will force myself into a little accountability. As Luke Girardi would say, “Hey, Copernicus called. He wanted you to know he discovered the world doesn’t revolve around you.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good to know you're alive and well! I've been thinking of you often lately. I'm glad to hear you're still thinking about community and self and how these things relate. I'm with you on your process in many ways. More later...

Anonymous said...

WHAT?!? The world doesn't revolve around me? I haven't forgotten about your letters - I'll get them out this week! Sorry it's taking me (and my students...) so long. We'll work this better next time.

bethany said...

Your comments about independence and self-importance ring true for me as well. It's hard to balence community life and individual acheivement. My wake-up moment was when my best friend had to go to the hospital with apendicitis. It pointed out what my real priorities are, and made academic excellence seem a little less crucial.

Hungarygirl said...

Oh! So that's where you went! So you didn't drop off the face of the earth, you just went into isolated mode! Well, good to hear you're coming back to us.

Anonymous said...

Matt, thanks for your honest writing about the daily difficulty of picking up the phone when we see that the caller ID says it's Copernicus on the line. Your posting was refreshing in a perhaps paradoxical way: It reminded me and Hannah that a) we're not the only ones who feel like we're not living up to the community life God intends for us and b) that we are indeed created to live in community, to share with others, to be vulnerable, to not always have to prove ourselves. We navelgaze too much and end up never really living in the light of God as we could. Your email renewed our hope in Christ's promise to guide us along the way to real life...even if we get sidetracked time and again.

Thanks for posting, Matt!