9/12/2005

Borfest

This weekend we at the Bazis played host to the ESI Hungary/Slovakia team and our year opening retreat. It is terrific to have everyone back together, if only for a day, but the real highlights were the barbecued hamburgers and the impromptu softball game that followed. It almost felt like a Labor Day picnic! Saturday night many of us decided to head to the Buda Castle for the annual Wine Festival (“bor” is Hungarian for wine). The beautiful castle is taken over for three days by scores of wineries from all over Europe, and beyond. They set up in little gazebos where they offer tastings, and the variety available is dizzying! This was my first wine festival, and while it was a bit overwhelming I couldn’t imagine a better setting for it. Gazing out over the Danube with my fellow teachers, seeing Parliament and the Chain Bridge lit up, and doing it all while sipping on a nice French Bordeaux – it’s a nice life! But I think it’s not the life for me. At least for now I’m still more of a beer guy – now if only I could get to Munich for Octoberfest…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did borfest compare to touring Washington wineries? As good? Better?

sam said...

Mwahaha, Hungary will convert you to a "wine guy" before you know it. I'd give it one trip to a Hungarian cellar in Villánykövesd, then you're through.

MattyA said...

Jen, some was better than WA - a lot was not. It probably didn't help that I couldn't talk to the wine makers and hear their little spiels about the wine. That's half the fun, right, hearing people seriously talk about "a hint of rich plummy fruit in the nose," and using words like tannen, effervescence (sp?), French Oak, and microclimate. And Sam, if Eastern Washington couldn't quite do it, I'm not sure Hungary can.

Anonymous said...

Matt-

I forgot about your blog because yours is the only one I read. This is a great way to get updates! I noticed you gave a shout-out to my very firm warning to ride the tail of the person in front of you, especially at the posta.

So bazis means base, eh? I'll remember that... How was week two of teaching? Do you have a phone number yet? Let me know...

Szeretettel, Viz-nawgs

Hungarygirl said...

Hey Matt, now that you emailed everyone your blog, you should spend some time updating it. Tell everyone about this amazing girl you had dinner with last night:)

James said...

Matt, all you need is a weekend in Eger to experience the bountiful goodness of Hungarian wines. I heartily recommend it. Especially the part about walking from cellar to cellar and trying new wines.

pekkle01 said...

Ah good to see the recent entries are back on display ... anything new in the last 3 weeks?