8/14/2005
training
I’ve reached the end of week four of training. Soon I’ll take my TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification exam, and then in 9 days I take the long flight from LA to Munich and then connect on to Budapest. By my count I’ve done about 25 full lesson plans and countless partial ones over the course of the four weeks. Yet, as much as I’ve learned and practiced, there’s no doubt in my mind that nothing can prepare you to teach except simply doing it. For example, we learned a lot about classroom management in our lectures. We talked about the typical root causes of the problems, techniques for how to deal with them, and important ways to prevent problems before they start. But when time came and I was standing in front of a class that was misbehaving everything I had learned was gone. I don’t know if the fact that it was a class of my fellow teachers pretending to be deviant teenagers makes it better or worse. Nonetheless, I handled the situation pretty badly (though I did remember not to give them a good knock on the head), but when I face discipline problems next fall it’s not the lectures I’m going to remember. I’ll think of how I botched my peer class, and how to avoid repeating the same mistakes. I find this both frustrating (why did I sit through all those lectures?) and encouraging (I think I’ll only get better as a teacher). It’s a good thing God doesn’t call us to be perfect, or even successful, just faithful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Glad you're still hanging in there. Re: classroom management: How could you forget the "Five-Pencil Reality Technique" that was drilled into your head in the lectures? It's the best. It involves cold chicken sandwiches and rusty nails. Works like a charm.
Anyway, I'm in Tennessee, back from Ohio, back on my way to Mississippi. (I.e., back in America from LA.)
kent, i have taught several elementary grades, and the best advice i can give is to remember that management is teaching - at any level teaching behavior expectations explicitly (knowing what you can and can't handle as an instructor, what your pet peeves are, what behaviors will lead to learning) and reteaching along the way. i try to see each misbehavior as a reteaching opportunity. best of luck, and if you happen to run into my friend betty who works at USCWM, say hi from ryan. :)
Hey, check out shantrabolek.com I think you might recognize your name on there!
Hey! I was just cleaning up my files and I took a look at pictures from our JF retreat. It's amazing how God is so faithful and brought all thirteen (counting Miriam) of us to different places. I wanted to drop you note saying that I am praying for you and reading up on your many adventures.
You're right. There is no better way to learn how to teach than by just doing it. And in my experiences and conversations about classroom management, I learned that some people who have been doing this for 20 years still don't quite understand the finer points of it. Make your expectations known from the beginning, and when in doubt, keep a baseball bat in your room. :-) I just got my class lists for the fall (next week? is that fall?), and I'm putting together my syllabi.
God's blessings, my friend, and keep in touch.
I have a similar sense of frustration and encouragement. My class improved a lot the second time I did it yesterday, which means I'm getting better, but I started pretty bad. I guess you have to start somewhere.
Post a Comment