8/26/2005

what a difference a continent makes

I look to my left and see a mild green pepper and salami and cream cheese on a roll - a coworker's lunch. I look to my right and see a man dressed in bright kelly green overalls installing a new shelving unit. Of course, those things mean I'm in Hungary. I've been here for a few days now, and I love the little daily reminders that I'm in another culture. I know that in 2 months I'll be fed up and cursing those same things, but for now they're lots of fun! Part of my preparation for this adventure was learning about the levels of culture, and how some differences are obvious (the annual beginning of the year faculty meeting I went to this morning, that was completely in Hungarian really brought home the language differences), and some are unbelievably subtle (I've already been cut in front of in line twice because I left too much space behind the person in front of me - I know you warned me, Voogts, but I forgot). I think what I really enjoy is both the satisfaction of figuring out the way Hungarians do things differently, and then trying to figure out why. Some reasons are pretty obvious (for example, Hungarians aren't as concerned with efficiency and timeliness, in part, because for 50 years, under communism, those qualities in the workplace were not rewarded but denigrated because they made other workers look bad). Other reasons for cultural differences are much harder, if not impossible to figure out (why do Hungarians feel so strongly about paprika?). Oh well, figuring these things out is all part of the adventure! Szia!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Glad to hear about the beginning of your adventures. How long do you have before you start teaching?

Anonymous said...

Oops, now I read your email so I know the answer.

leesh said...

so glad that you arrived safe and sound. praying that your students will be gentle with ya till you get yourself settled.

leesh

Anonymous said...

Matt,
It has been almost three years since I left Budapest with my wife and first son after living there for almost 3 years. Reading many of your posts bring back vivid memories of what life was like for me there. This post was one of those. I am sure that you have encountered the different stategies in nose blowing. Americans don't like nose blowing in public and would rather sniffle till there is an opening to excuse themselves to a private place. Hungarians on the other hand think that sniffling is incredibly gross and always pick the dinner table to unload their nose.

well just an observation.

I will continue reading your posts and may comment later.

josh