4/28/2006
csiga
Now that it's warm out every morning I'm greeted by at least two dozen prime examples of one of the world's coolest creatures on my way to school. I love snails! Did you know they actually have teeth - lots of them? They use them like a file, and they're strong enough to chew through limestone! And they move on that slimy mucous, which is amazing stuff. They also use it to clog up the hole in their shell when they hibernate (leaving a tiny hole for breathing), and it's so gooey it protects them from sharp things on the ground. They also secrete it when something tried to eat them (like a frog) so instead of a yummy snail they get a mouthful of goo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hmmm, you're starting to sound like me when I talk about my bugs! Snails are pretty interesting little buggers, though I try very hard to keep them and their shell-less slug cousins out of my garden (I love setting up beer traps!). Do you remember throwing snails against the garage door in California when we were kids?
Unrelated but funny - check out this ode to MattyA, sung to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme song:
http://www.mellz.com/people/mattya.html
I STRONGLY suggest you send that bit of information to Joel Agee. If you don't know why he'd need to know, ask him!
Kass
Post a Comment