What is it about me and life transitions? For those of you who don't know, this August I'm undertaking another. I was blessed with several great options for next year, but I'll be heading off to Princeton, NJ to start the Mdiv program at Princeton Theological Seminary. It seems like I'm always doing this - leaving friends, church, job, and what currently feels like home. This one will be especially hard since I'll be leaving Marianne for a year. Of course, I have marriage to look forward to at the end of the year. That helps! I'm reminded of Jesus' parables about waiting patiently, but expectantly for the bridegroom. Maybe this coming year will give me new insight into waiting for Christ's return. Marantha Lord Jesus! (and maranatha marriage!)
But as I look ahead to this fall, I'm filled with excitement and trepidation. I can't wait to get back to the academic environment, but I worry about the adjustment. I haven't written an academic paper in a long time. I have all sorts of questions about money, classes, transportation, classmates, but I'm trying to let them go. If I've learned anything from all the transitions I've gone through before, it's that God will be wherever I go. We're pretty sure this next step is God's will, and even if it's not he'll find a way to redeem it. As Neal Plantinga has said, "God is in the salvaging business." Maybe one of these days I'll finally settle down (I hope!).
4/29/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Matt,
Congrats on your decision to go to Princeton, and especially congrats on your engagement! That is super-awesome. I wish you the best with making those transitions.
Congratulations, Matt! Princeton seems like a great seminary, and you'll enjoy living there. I'm glad you're blogging again. What's Marianne up to next year? Have you picked a wedding date?
Yea for seminary. Yea for you and Marianne. and Yea for settling down someday.
Oh excellent... you had to choose that other seminary. (Although maybe the real other is Candler or Yale; I don't remember.) I hope you find some weird relics of Calvin to venerate. ;)
I hope you enjoy it, and I can't wait to hear about it from you. You've also just given me one more reason to go Northeast (and let's be clear: vocationally I'm stuck in Texas for the indefinite future, so I'm talking road trip).
Post a Comment