1/02/2007

where did it go?

I'm parked here on the couch with my father tonight as Boise State tries to hold off Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. The Broncos are inexplicably up by 14, but you get the feeling Oklahoma is eventually going to wake up and realize they're losing to a team that was Division I-AA ten years ago. Then we'll see what the Idaho underdogs are made of.

This time tomorrow I'll be somewhere over the Atlantic. I can't believe how quickly this break has gone, and how much I've enjoyed being at home. A few of the highlights:

Playing brass with my big sis in church on Christmas Eve. We've been doing this for years - since 6th/8th grade - but this was particularly special since it's been a while. (Even if our chops were pretty lousy!)

My family's Cioppino tradition! This year with fresh cod, clams, scallops, shrimp, crab, and mussels.

Spending a fun and encouraging evening in Tacoma with Shantra and Lori. (And what a view from their apartment!)

Renting and watching A Prairie Home Companion with my parents. I haven't laughed that much at a movie in a long time. Woody and John C. telling bad jokes was the cinematic highlight of the year.

Going to Bodies: The Exhibition with most of the family, especially Katherine, my sister the nurse. Fascinating!

Torrey and D.J.'s beer tasting party.

Spending New Year's Eve with Kent and Shelly starting with worship at 3rd CRC in Lynden (my grandfather's old church) where Kent delivered a fine sermon, ending with the fireworks at the Space Needle, and full of fine conversation and fun in between.

And, of course, spending New Year's Day watching the bowls with my Dad (despite our different views on the Rose Bowl), and making Oliebollen and Banket with my mom.

I hope these celebratory weeks have been relaxing and refreshing for you, as they have been for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt! So I thought I'd review your blog, as previously mentioned in our Skype conversation, and I've decided to break it into parts, rating each part on a scale from one to ten, one being the worst: CONTENT 5, GRAPHICS 9, OVERALL IMPRESSION 7. Nice job. :)