8/23/2006

year two

Here we go again. I'm back in Budapest with my spirits buoyed by a wonderful summer back in the States. The scariest part of the summer, though, was how much I missed Budapest! I've wisely been warned that the places I come from will never feel like home again. I've been thinking about home a lot this summer (see one of my June posts). I brought my copy of Barnes' book (Searching for Home) back with me since I didn't get to read it this summer. Maybe that'll help me better understand this feeling of "in-betweenness" I have. But now that I'm back I'm caught up in writing syllabi, organizing the Bazis (my residence), and all the other stuff of living. Year two - I'm off and running.

5 comments:

bethany said...

My experience is obviously less stark than yours, but I know what you mean about home being not so much home. I explored that in a recent post (I AM a shameless self-promoter. I am only sort of sorry.)

leesh said...

ah. i have this great sermon that i want you to hear but i can't figure out how to link it through itunes. if you have it search for ada bible church (i know how you feel about the mega churches)and then download the sermon called fertile ground. i think you would like it. cause he talks about the land of in between....i've been telling everyone about it. it's awesome! mwah. chat with you soon.

Katie said...

Good luck Matt!

Unknown said...

I lived in Budapest for one year. My husband lived there for close to three. We have now been in the states for three years. Let me tell you, we still miss Budapest and "home" still doesn't have that same feeling.
We are now unsettled wanderers, waiting for our next comission from God's hand to go abroad.
Keep up the work in Hungary.

Anonymous said...

odd, I was reading a novel recently that was exploring whether home was a place or the people you love. What about Budapest feels most home-like to you? The place or the people? Regardless, I'm glad you're coming "home" for Christmas this year!