Yesterday I got to worship at Sanctuary, the church my sister and brother-in-law attend. I've been there several times and I know a handful of people there. We were a little late getting there (I made my parents wait until halftime of the Australia-Brazil match before we could leave), but the service hadn't started. We parked across the street and as we walked over we heard a hearty yell. The pastor, Randy, called out, "Hey! You're not supposed to be here - you're supposed to be in Europe!" He greeted me with a warm hug, which was followed by another from the worship leader, Pete. We quickly found some seats as Randy greeted the congregation and Pete asked us to stand.
Then, in one of those "is this really happening" moments, I heard the first few chords of the opening song, and I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, shout for joy, or collapse out of sheer emotional exhaustion. It was a song written by my friend Ron that has a great deal of meaning for me. As I sang it lustily I was filled with gratitude (because I was once again worshipping with a community I knew and understood), sadness (because I miss the people I shared that sang with at Calvin), joy (because this song, of all they could have chosen, was the one that welcomed me back to the States), and many other emotions.
The song was a microcosm for the rest of the service. We did many things that seem as familiar to me as breathing, said words I've repeated countless times (Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 1!), and sang songs that are a part of me to my very core (Praise to the Lord the Almighty, God be merciful to me, I could sing of your love forever, even the doxology!). Yet, I hadn't had the chance to do any of those things in corporate worship in almost a year. Yes, my church in Budapest is wonderful and I'm not complaining about it. However, Sanctuary is part of the same tradition I am. It feels like home to me in a way that I don't think my little Scottish Presbyterian church ever will.
At church yesterday I was incredibly grateful for this sense of community and place, but the more I think about it the more I'm confused by it. Is this a good thing? Am I somehow reinforcing the division in the body of Christ by acknowledging these feelings? I want to go back and read M. Craig Barnes' Searching for Home again, because I think he gets at this idea. It's especially strange because I've been so frustrated at this very same tradition lately. Mary and the smart people who comment on her blog (she's smart too, incidentally) have had an interesting discussion of the issue, so I won't add to it. I will say, though, that despite many people from my denomination's inherently flawed approach to scripture I love this tradition of which I'm a part. Even though some of my brothers and sisters may find me more worthy of being a denominational leader simply because I have only one X chromosome, they are still my brothers and sisters. For better or worse they are my community, the group that defines home for me. Now the question is... which one is it? For better or worse?
6/20/2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Interesting thoughts, Matty. I somehow relate, although I don't have a place that does feel like "home" any longer. Too many different places to choose from. I guess I gotta choose the one that I'm at when I'm at it. I don't know. I haven't checked your links, but will. Thanks.
Something I've been thinking about, too, bro. I've been cogitating on the question of unity betwixt churches and denominations and the idea of agreeing on the essentials of faith (one God, Jesus is God and man, he died to save us, etc.) and allowing ourselves to differ in love over other, non-essential points. And yet, I do agree with the points of reformed doctrine that aren't essential and I don't want to ignore them or compromise on what I believe to be truth in an effort to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy. (Wow, I wonder if I got that attitude from Dad? Ya think?) I've been less preoccupied with the more cultural/stylistic aspects of tradition that hit you when you came back to the states, but those also play a part in the questions of unity/divisiveness betwixt brothers and sisters. It's good to question how these issues affect the body of Christ as a whole; I think I'll add "Searching for Home" to my reading list.
I, too, have been thinking about that...someday I hope to blog about those thoughts, but I need some more time.
"Searching for Home" is one of the books I'm annotating...some really good things in there...in one of the sections I read, he equates finding home with being righteous. I'm looking forward to reading more!
I would also recommend reading "Dante's Inferno" (and the other books in his "Divine Comedy") if you haven't already - some great parallels there. The Musa translation is helpful - one of my favorite books.
Post a Comment