12/16/2005

a gift

My students gave me a Christmas present today. In the middle of class they suddenly stood, sang a rousing (but sadly monotone) rendition of We Wish You a Merry Christmas, and presented me with a small package wrapped in newspaper. I took this picture in my flat with my "gift" this afternoon.




One of my students commented, "We don't think you look bad. We just think you need to shave your beard." Thanks.

Side notes: Anybody want to take a guess at which mountain is just over my right shoulder? Kent? And speaking of Kent, it seems the Thorubos group blog may be primed for a re-birth of sorts. Stay tuned for further updates.

10 comments:

Bob K said...

I gotta say, Matt. I like the beard.

Bob K said...

I gotta say, Matt, I like the beard.

Anonymous said...

http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=23518910

bethany said...

so, will you shave to please them? I can't decide if I prefer beard or no beard.
I wonder if my students offer fashion tips on my evals...? (Did Holberg ever tell you about the one that said not to wear "those pants" again?)

I'm excited about the thorubos revival.

o1mnikent said...

First of all, that beard is hott. I couldn't grow a beard like that to save my life, although I can't think of ever finding myself in that situation (that is, needing to grow a beard to save my life). I digress.

As for the mountain, I'm going to go with Baker, although depending on what direction you're looking, it might be Ranier or Adams. I didn't see any buttes either.

Am I right?

And speaking of awesome things, I'll be there in five short days.

swtpmarie said...

The picture you posted makes you look more "life-seasoned" than your baby-faced bod book picture! Glad to know you're doing well. I hope you have a great Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Matt,

That beard is looking really good...don't believe your students. It turns out I'll be staying in Toulouse until mid to late June (I found an internship here) so if you're still interested, you'd be welcome to visit me. For now though, enjoy your Christmas vacation (are you travelling?).

MattyA said...

Sorry to those of you who commented and it didn't post them until now - I didn't realize I turned on comment verification. I don't need to verify you - I know you!

To answer the beard questions, I will not shave to please my students. My face is my own, even if they have to look at me every day. If/when I shave it will be for other reasons.

Kent, you're right, as I knew you would be. You don't know how jealous I am that you're seeing it in person so soon.

And Sam, what wonderful news! I would love to visit you in Toulouse! In fact, I'm going to start looking at flights right away so I'll be sure to find something reasonable.

Anonymous said...

My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father!!!
Prepare to die.

Anonymous said...

My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father!!!
Prepare to die.